11/10/2023

Typeface Research

 Here is my research on different typefaces and their connotations

Typefaces are defined by the design of letters, numbers and symbols to be used in printing or electronic display. Variety in typefaces size, thickness or styles can exist within a type family. 

Here are some of the resources I used:

Based on these resources and my own interpretation of different typefaces, I have concluded the 4 main categories:

1. Serif

  • Serif typeface is a decorative typeface with a stroke that extends off the end of a letter
  • Many examples of serif include Old-style, Antiqua, Didone, Slab serif and more
  • These are often assosiated with a classy, formal and elegant feel
  • Often used in print for its readability

2. Sans-Serif

  • Sans-serif is a typeface that has its letter truncated or is cut flat.
  • These are often assosiated with modern, simplistic, informal, minimalist styles.
  • These are widely used in digital interfaces because of its clarity on screens
  • Popularly used in branding and logos
3. Script 
  • Script typefaces can be identified by the curve of letterforms and connecting strokes that imitate cursive handwriting
  • These are often assosiated with personalised, creative styles
  • These are often used in invitations or greeting cards
4. Display
  •  Display typefaces vary in style but are designed to be large and eye-catching
  • These are often assosiated with creativity, expression and are very unique to evoke a specific mood.
  • They are often used in headlines
To choose the correct typeface, I had to consider into multiple factors, some of them were:

1. Mood
  • I aimed to subvert from the conventional and serious approach typically associated with recipe articles. Instead, I went for a more informal and playful tone, while still retaining a modern aesthetic. By doing so, I sought to engage readers in a fresh and dynamic way, making the content feel approachable and enjoyable.
2. Functionality
  • While serif fonts are often used for their readability, I chose to use them sparingly in order to steer clear of an elegant appearance for my magazine. Instead, I'll be leaning to the modern trend of using sans-serif fonts for my article. It's crucial that the typeface I select ensures readability at any size.
  • To have a better visual contrast, I'll avoid using the same typeface for both body text and headings. Since a sans-serif font might appear too uniform for headings, I'm more likely to use to use a serif font instead. This choice will help headings stand out and add a touch of sophistication to the overall design.
3. Brand Message
  • To effectively convey the message of embracing culinary experimentation without fear, I will be creating an atmosphere of informality and modernity that is more relatable for the majority of the population as to not intimidate readers. I'll be selecting a font for headings and titles that strikes a balance between familiarity and intrigue. This font will be slightly different and more interesting, adding a unique touch to the design while remaining readable.
4. Combinations
  • I recognize that not all typefaces complement each other seamlessly. Therefore, I intend to combine both sans-serif and serif typefaces strategically. This pairing will create a dynamic contrast, with serif fonts lending an stylish or refined touch while sans-serif fonts contribute a more modern vibe and informal tone. I aim to achieve a cohesive and visually appealing design.
Reflection: The process of researching typefaces for this blog was quite frustrating and time-consuming as many of the resources available did not have a summarized information or lacked content and example which made it hard for me to understand. However, my persistence paid off, as the knowledge I gained ultimately empowered me to plan your magazine's design more purposefully. Recognising the effects of typefaces has opened my eyes into the dominant reading of magazine designs and I can apply this lesson into my own magazine.