11/08/2023

Magazine Terminology

 This are the terminology that I've learned throughout my lesson on Media Studies


Reflection : When my teacher first introduced us to magazine terminologies, I found that it very overwhelming as there are lots of new words. Luckily when I looked through some of the list, I recognised some definitions of words that are just in more professional terminology, like "byline" which I often heard in newspaper articles, that soothed my stress by a bit. Still, I did end up learning more vocabulary from this table of terminology. With the power of practicing by identifying these terms in actual magazine examples multiple times in my research, I am now able to grasp a lot of these terms and find it easier to notice or point out. Having the table as a blog allows me to access it with ease in the case I need a quick refresher.

Table of terminologies provided by my teacher:
MastheadThe name of the magazine, in its typical font, on the cover.
Selling lineThe short description of the ‘identity’ of the magazine under the masthead,
Main imageThe image which fills the cover – a model, celebrity, animal, artefact.
Coverlines‘Teasers’ for the contents of the magazine on the cover.
Typography/fontThe shape, style, size and colour of the letters used.
Drop capThe enlarged initial letter of the first word of an article – an aesthetic feature which is designed to engage the reader.
Pull quotesEnlarged quotes from an article – these may be included in coverlines, but are also used in the body of the article to break up the page and to attract the attention of the reader.
BylineThe name of the writer of the article, usually found at the beginning. Simply, it is the ‘line’ which tells you who the article is by.
Main cover lineThe most important article featured, grabs the audience’s attention (featured article)
Mode of addressThe way the magazine/article addresses the audience. Formal, casual, direct (for images too)
BarcodeUsed for retailers
SkylineA list of keywords featured at the top of the cover
ThirdsThe upper and left third are the most important. why?
PropAn image of an item
Puff / BoxoutA smaller image/text to stand out from the rest of the information (puff=circle. boxout=square)
BuzzwordsExclusive, free, new, special edition
BannerA block of colour with info inside, usually stretches the width of the cover
CaptionInformation about an image.
SpreadPages of a magazine that should be viewed together (usually two)
BorderEmpty space around the edges
White spaceEmpty space in the spread, used to break up the content (negative space)

Example from auggiecmedia2019