1/24/2024

Front Cover Development

 Here is my front cover research and development

Reflection : I found task 1 with the sketches a big help when it came to my photoshoot date as I could easily pull out my blog to check back with my plans. Doing the task made it much easier to start as I had a plan and just simply had to execute it when it came to developing my final front cover. Despite that, I did find the development documentation task severly tiring and uninteresting. I had an issue of forgetting to save the screenshots of my development and had to recreate previous versions at times thus becoming an long-lasting task, which felt draining.

Task 1

Before I begin my development, I will brief the instructions my teacher had reccommended that I do to help me picture my front cover. I will be taking my sketches of my front cover and shoot some picture examples of what they would look like. Then, I take the two of those sketch ideas to be digitalised (I used Canva). Afterwards, I pick between the two, and continue developing and experimenting with the 4 design of design (border, hierarchy of type, typeface and colour) in mind. 

Step 1 : Sketches


Step 2 : Take sample pictures 



Step 3 : Digitalise 2 



Step 4 : Choose one and experiment


Genre Research

Using pinterest to look up examples of content pages from other magazines, I looked for common elements that majority of these examples shared.


I've noted several things doing this research that I will place as bullet points below.

Common elements in front cover: 

  • Combined with my previous research (found in blogpost titled Magazine Research), I found that food magazines tend to use puffs and banners
  • Majority of food magazines uses a birdseye view, focusing on one dish at a time. They also utilise the shape of the plate to create interesting geometric layouts.
  • Main coverlines often uses the same typeface as the masthead, possibly to create unity and look more cohesive
  • Most coverlines uses a light sans-serif (not too attention grabbing compared to main coverline)
  • Issue date and price are not shown in any of these examples, however when it does, the text box will usually sit nearby the masthead or barcode.
  • Average of 3-4 coverlines in each magazines
  • All texts will go around the dishes shown, never covering a dish.
  • Colour pallete is small in terms of text, consisting of a main colour- white or black- and an accent colours choosen by its relation to the subject (pink with meat, red text  with red sauce in dumplings) 
  • Masthead always sits at top of page

Development


Here I linked the tutorial on Youtube I had used to learn about content-aware fill tutorial and patch tool for photoshop.




End Results