1/24/2024

Double-Page Spread Research & Development

 Here is my double-page spread development

Reflection : Similarly to the rest of my development, task 1 had a helping hand in ensuring I was following my intended plan/idea while also providing me with foundation I could build on while working on the final double page spread. Designing the double-paged spread was definitely my favourite page to design as I think I learnt a lot of skills from it (mostly with Photoshop) and enjoyed documenting learning it all. I am also very fond of the end results. 

Task 1

I am doing the same procedure in my cover page developent for double-page spread development so I will be repeating the instructions.

I take my sketches of my contents page and shoot some picture examples of said sketches. Then, I ttake the two of those sketch ideas to be digitalised (I used Canva). Afterwards, I pick between the two, and continue developing and experimenting with the 4 elements of design (border, hierarchy of type, typeface and colour) in mind. 

Step 1 : Sketches 

Additional information:
  • Almost all but one sketch was taken with a birds-eye view
  • Blue text are comments explaining the picture/layout for further clarification
  • Pink text are my input on some issues with the picture/layout



Step 2 : Take sample pictures

I had run out of these small white serving bowl so I temporarily replaced it with a metal coaster for the time of the shoot but will have it replaced during the actual shoot. I added limes as a placement for the chilli as well as I considered using banana leaves as a container so the green colour helped me visualise them better.

Step 3 : Digitalise 3 


I had tried to avoid the lengthy text by placing the picture horizontally but I found that I'm much more fond of the vertical image layout 

Step 4 : Choose one and experiment







Genre Research

Before going developing my final magazine, I used pinterest to look up examples of double-page spreads from other magazines, I looked for common elements that majority of these examples shared.

Notable similarities :

  • Often both pages share 1 picture/1 picture could take space from both pages
  • Puffs are common on these pages
  • Colours used in the spreads are related to the picture
  • Negative space is covered with texts in columns of three, 
  • Food photographers name are often not seen/placed on these pages and rather on a credit page before the contents page. However, my research shows some articles do feature the author of the article's name on its own page.

Development


Reflection: I did my first photoshoot with my intended location however despite everything planned correctly, unexpected weather brought dark clouds and did not give my pictures any good natural light. So I had reconsidered and decided to go back on another day where the sun would shine brighter. Before leaving however, I did capture pictures of the surroundings like the ocean and sand in the case I would need it in the future. Whilst I had those few days to wait for better weather, I reviewed the pictures and altered my plan. The things i had changed were;
1) Sambal/chilli used; I choose different ingredients that would give the final product a brighter and more colourful result. 
2) Props; I ditched the banana leaf bowls because when I used a banana leaf as the background, they blend into each other. I decided to use white plates instead to help create contrast between the leaf and chilli.
3) Equipment; I used a borrowed camera from my aunt (Canon Powershot G10) for my first photoshoot but I couldnt correctly bring out the colours so I tried using my mom's phone camera (Samsung S23) with the pro camera mode, which gave better results 
4) Photoshoot setting: The beach had a slight slope that was difficult to work with when it came to more watery chilli so I decided to go to a nearby flat terrain of grass to take my pictures and plan to edit in the sand

Here are my some of my pictures on the second shoot;



Here was my first two trials that I had drafted with just the picture I had taken to give me a better vision of what my double-page spread would look like:






END RESULT


To finalize my double-page spread, I had choosen to change a few things after recieving feedback by my teacher. Firstly, my teacher suggested dark green sub-headings with a white body of text for the recipes to help differenciate each recipe which I whole-heartedly agree helped in seperating them. Secondly, I had also added a small article change as I wanted a better flow of the narrative. Lastly, I had added some missing features such as the author and the page number on the bottom left. Other minor details includes tilting the puff to the right more than the left as I felt that its tilt beforehand was too unnecessarily strong.


Here are some additional information to the development process:
  • Video link to masking tutorial for photoshop 
  • Typeface downloaded from dafont.com (Creato display regular and bold, keep calm, catcheye demo)